View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 04:15 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Glad you're returning, selfishly since I'm always entertained by the compare/contrast of Oregon vs Georgia.

The insights about your own coaching journey reminded me of something that was oft discussed about the fairly long tenured coach that was at Will's school for a number of years. His primary responsibility for perennial contender(s) (coached boys & girls), honestly, was making sure transportation was handled on match day. And #2 on his list was determining where the team would eat on the return trip for away matches.

The other thing that stood out to me was the enormous difference in numbers, shockingly so given the ... haphazard? random? whatever word? nature of HS tennis there.

I reviewed my mental math with Will just to be sure: yes, you have more girls each season than the combined boys & girls varsity AND JV at his school. Now granted (if I've done the classification / school size research correctly) you're roughly double the size of his school so it kinda makes sense but even at schools twice your size I don't think they're getting past your numbers.

Sidebar: HS numbers are down in Georgia generally, since the top players rarely play HS tennis (similar to baseball, softball in a lot of places, etc). Less than 1/3rd of the top girls tennis recruits in this 4-year cycles are playing HS, or even attending a traditional HS. They're either in full-time academies or part-time with homeschooling (something I didn't realize until diving into it deeper today and discussing with the kid, etc). And zero of them are in a public HS here.

Anyhow, I'm staying on board for the another lap, looking forward to it.