View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

The Treefrogs are going to be built for power. We intend on dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

On offense, the coach likes to run the Gator package. This starts 4 OL, 1 RB, and 2 WR. Our current Gator playbook is pretty run-heavy with a few designed RB pass plays. There's another one that's more QB run heavy, but we're opting for the more traditional style.

On defense we compliment the offense by running the Golem package. Golem is a 3 DL, 1 LB, 2 CB, 2 S style that relies on the d-line to provide all the pressure. We rarely blitz the LB, but rely on him a lot in zone coverage and to track down RBs out of the backfield. We really need a good LB if this is going to work.

Looking at the draft pool, it's not going to be easy to build an effective roster on both sides of the ball. There's a lot of talent, but also a lot of 1-way players. Offensively, I absolutely need to get a legit OL and a RB I can count on. I can skimp on WR and probably do ok until the next offseason. OL and RB is my top priority for offense.

On defense, I need a couple good DL and a great LB. In the secondary I could either go CB or S, but I don't need to do both right now. If I can find stud CBs, I'll run more man defense. If I fall into some good safeties, I'll play a conservative deep zone defense and load up at the line. I'd prefer to find CBs, though. I can't come out of this draft without DL and LB, though.

For special teams, I'll need a kicker. I can see a lot of FG situations, and I hate leaving points on the field. I'm going to risk not loading up on special teams coverage, and address that in future drafts. If I can find a great KR, I'll take it. I'm not going to prioritize it, though.

Overall priority:
OL
RB
LB
DL
K
Everything else

Overall it's going to be important to get 2-way players early. The CPU teams always grab them and I always end up taking 1-way players and have huge holes in my roster. This time, I'm really going to do it! (for real!)