View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #303
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

We cut the cord last week, after our $50 per month credit expired on DirecTV. We had the Choice Extra package, which was the lowest package that had all of the channels that we wanted, but also had about 120 channels that we never watched. So when the credit expired and the bill went from $76 per month to $126 per month, I called to see if we could get the discount renewed. The CSR said all he could do was knock $10 per month off my bill, and I said no thanks and cancelled.

I paid $260 to “Mr. Antenna” to install an HD antenna (included parts, labor, setup and warranty), and the installer also removed the DirecTV dish. We now get all of our local channels for free in crystal clear HD, plus about 50 more channels.

I subscribed to the PlayStation Vue “Core Slim” package for $34.99 per month. It has almost all of the channels that my wife and I are interested in. For diehard sports fans like me, it has all of the ESPN channels, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network (plus alternate feeds), SEC Network, BeIn Sports, and all of our regional sports networks (FS West, FS San Diego, FS Prime Ticket, NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports California). It comes with full access the mobile apps (WatchESPN, Fox Sports Go, etc.).

We were already paying for Cox Internet, and I’ve got an Apple TV hard wired to the router with an ethernet cable on the downstairs TV. The resolution on the Vue app has been superb, and I’ve had no issues with buffering or other technical problems. Upstairs, we have an Amazon Fire box connected over the wifi, and it’s been working without any issues as well. The cloud DVR is working fine so far. We have recorded multiple episodes and watched them with no issues.

We’re now saving over $1,000 per year, so it won’t take long to recoup the money we spent to get set up.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 05-10-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote