Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #101
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This might actually be a better deal for LA than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think the Red Sox come out a bit better.

These aren't mutually incompatible concepts. The trade can be better for the Dodgers and have the Red Sox still improve their haul.

If there's one thing Dodger fans have been hollering for this offseason, it's been bullpen upgrades. I think Blake Treinen will help there, but a lot of folks have been like "what, that's it???"

It's unclear, afaik, whether Maeda just straight up didn't want to move to the bullpen, or if the Dodgers hadn't any interest in reworking his contract to replace the incentives with relief incentives (or simply add to the existing incentives); Graterol steps in as a kid with a big arm who apparently has a bright future as a bullpen piece.

The Dodgers, as mentioned, could afford to give up their #3 catching prospect and Jeter Downs, given their respective depth in those two positions. So, yes, they're "paying more" in prospect capital, but they didn't give up May or Lux, and the Red Sox's panic over Graterol had the knock-on effect of potentially improving the Dodger bullpen.

So, yeah. I think this trade probably IS better for the Dodgers than the prior version, even if the Sox ended up improving their haul as well.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote