Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #193
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How are they going to draft without senior baseball season? Or is it a minor factor? I bet this draft will have some major wildcards.

I was going to post about this last night because all of this indirectly relates to my son's plans for next year. College baseball is really fucked right now at all levels.

High school baseball really isn't scouted that much anymore. It's mostly perfect game and PBR events and then a regional scout may check in if a team is interested.
Usually, though, that regional scout is just confirming what other scouts have seen at showcase events. These pre-draft showcases are canceled though and that will really hurt some high school guys.

The shorter draft is a game changer, though, and when combined with the extra year of eligibility its having a massive impact on every level from high school up. I just don't see teams using a pick on anyone that's remotely questionable to sign if we're looking at a 5 or 10 round mlb draft. I know of 1 kid that's reclassified to 2021 because of it and another 2 families that are considering reclassifying their kids for draft purposes. It's a shitshow.

I'll try to get into more when I can sit at my desktop because I need someplace to rant. It's really frustrating right now when you consider how it all trickles down.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote