View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #186
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yes it just counts in their hope country.

A little something I thought would be useful here, the whole 'create player' thing which is basically VIP only. I posted about this in one of the dynasty threads, so to start with, here's what I wrote there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
You're basically guaranteed to get a good player, they just may not be great. More on that in a bit here. I always create a new player on Sunday of Week 52. The first thing you have to do is fire an existing one, since you can't create a new one without an empty spot in your roster. This can make things a little interesting if you have enough credits to create more than one player, since if you want to try for someone better you have to fire someone first, and then if the RNG doesn't treat you well you're kind of sunk due to somebody else hiring whoever it is you got rid of. Doing it at the beginning of the week lets you use that week for xp before you enter any tournaments. A small thing, but grab every advantage you can. IIRC the players start off at exactly 20 form so you'll have time to put in a few practice weeks before you need to do your first junior tournaments.

You have three things you can control in terms of how good the player is. Name and nation obviously don't matter here. I don't remember the exact terminology the game uses, but I'll be creating a new player in less than two weeks now so this stuff is fairly fresh in my mind having done it a few times.

** Aging -- Three settings, something like Peak Early, Peak Normal, or Peak Late. I always choose the one that gives a low aging factor, for longevity(and poor juniors/early development of course as the tradeoff).

** Best Attribute -- You can choose one of strength, speed, endurance, talent, to have a better chance to get a good 'roll' on. I think those are the only ones in there but I would double-check it as I don't recall for certain. I go with endurance. As has been discussed it is in my opinion the most important. Having said that in a fast world I would consider whether talent may be more important for you.

** Worst Attribute -- You also have to choose one that has a better chance of being lower. I have always chosen one of the athletic ones, strength and speed. I think speed is probably the best choice here as strength is probably a little more important but you could argue that either way.

Finally, cross your fingers :P.

Prospective Results

I've created four players so far, with at least one more coming soon -- I have the credits to do two more at the end of the year here, so if the first one goes bad I have a 'backup' so to speak. Three of them are players I'm managing right now, the fourth wasn't quite as good so I jettisoned them. Here's how they came out on the TESS scale:

** Anil Mehul -- 8.9 TE(4.4 Talent, 4.5 Endurance), 6.6 SS(3.4 strength, 3.2 speed), 95% aging. Best of any of them in endurance and aging factor, but relatively 'meh' talent and athleticism.

** Girish Girsh -- 8.7 TE(4.4 Talent, 4.3 Endurance), 6.1 SS(2.9 strength, 3.2 speed), 96% aging. Girsh was the most developed(most starting skill and service) so that mitigated at least somewhat the fact that he was a little more limited. He also had a higher mentality(3.8), Mehul was at 3.4.

** Shyam Senepathy -- 8.8 TE(4.5 Talent, 4.3 Endurance), 5.7 SS(3.5 strength, 2.2 speed), 96% aging. I haven't written much about him because he's the one that I 'threw back'. This was mostly because of the low speed around the court. Another 3.4 mentality here. He's not terrible by any stretch, mismanagement has him barely inside the Top 300 at age 20, but he could have been good -- just not quite as good as the others.

** Prakash Mooljee -- 8.9 TE(4.7 Talent, 4.2 Endurance), 6.8 SS(3.5 Strength, 3.3 Speed), 97% aging. On the TESS scale he is the best I've turned out; on the other hand he was the least developed in terms of skill/service, sort of the other end of that process from Girsh. He's doing very well though. Mentality came out at 3.4 again.

Conclusions

The game promises a strong but not necessarily world class player, and I think these results bear that out. There has been a great degree of consistency in an admittedly very small sample size. From reading the forums years ago on the subject, it is or at least was possible to get a really fantastic player significantly better than this, but quite rare. I imagine it's also probably possible to get one somewhat worse. I do think you can expect to get players who are better than the ones you can hire in a busy world(unless you are consistently lucky and quick) this way.

Since I'm creating a player today I thought I'd add a bit to this. If you go to 'Hire Player' you can see whether or not you are able to create one(basically you can do so four times for each VIP payment you make, but you have to have a free slot in your players to do so).

Step 1: First Name, Surname, and Country. Pretty self-explanatory and they don't affect your players ability, with the exception that because of the number of US tournaments, US home advantage is reduced.

Step 2: Here's the important part. You can choose a different number, familiarize yourself with the process by trying an Example player(who you can't keep even if you really like them, it's just to give you an idea of how it works). Then, make sure you have all of the following as you want them before you click Create Player. Can't really emphasize that enough, because you can't change your mind afterwards. The game does at least give you a warning to check your work and confirm.

So these are the things you can impact:

** Age: 14, 15, or 16. I don't know why you'd pick anything other than 14. Maybe you could play around with Example and it gives them more development at the higher ages, but the younger you can start the better. So 14 is the only choice here.

** Surface(1st). Top surface for preferences. I'd go with hardcourt but it's trivial to change this as a junior so it doesn't really matter.

** Surface(2nd). Clay is my choice here but again not a significant thing.

** Strong In -- Now we're talking. This is the attribute to emphasize, options are Endurance, Speed, Strength, Mentality, and Talent.

** Weakness -- Same choices. Now you actually can select the same attribute for both, I've never tried it but I assume that it would basically cancel itself out and you'd get a more 'balanced' character that way.

** Aging Factor -- Peaks Early, Average, Peaks Late. Age and these these last three options are the key ones, see my recommendations in what I quoted.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote