View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #365
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What turned me on Trump was his failure to back the "controversial" law in NC. Plain & simple. Anybody who gets one THAT glaringly obvious to any truly rational person wrong really has no business holding public office.

Just want to be sure we're on the same page on this one:

you turned on the guy who boasted about being able to walk in unannounced on teenage girls in various states of undress because he had to "inspect" them because he wouldn't back the bathroom law? The former wasn't a cause for concern, but the latter was a bridge too far?

Quote:
As I explained -- which seemed necessary since I had disavowed his candidacy along the way -- the difference this time was that the potential amusement value of a Trump win outweighed the risk that he'd actually screw anything up worse than it already is. That was the difference between him & Romney, I believe the latter would have been tragically similar to an Obama administration. Trump may get few things of importance right, but I don't think he'll do much proactively to make matters worse either.

I think you might have been right if Romney had been elected the first time he ran for President. By the third time, he'd been reduced to claiming he was "severely conservative" while at the same time running away from his legacy as governor. Any deviation from conservative orthodoxy as President would have meant being a one-termer if for no other reason than that his base would have primaried him out.

Quote:
And just because the races aren't high enough profile to warrant discussion here does not mean that there aren't cases where I have voted for a specific candidate with a different party affiliation ... it's just been a very long time since I've seen anyone willing to associate themselves with the (D) party that didn't disqualify themselves outright for that poor judgement.

When party affiliation is a disqualifier that requires a candidate to deviate significantly from his or her party's political ideology to (maybe) overcome...you aren't making a case for yourself being other than a "pull the lever" voter.

You're saying that a Democrat COULD behave enough like a hardline Republican to get your attention...but why vote for the knockoff when you can have the real thing? And if you can't have the real thing, why bother voting?

Unless it'd make the liberals mad, of course.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote