View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #395
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Can you give more info on this game? I looked at their website and it had a demo that didn't really explain what you are doing (unless it does that via audio which I can't hear on my work computer).

Let's see, it's based off a board game. The game is comprised of a tile set of 72 tiles which have features of towns and roads of medieval times. One tile is turned over to start the game and every turn a tile is turned and the player whom it's the turn to play has to place it on the table. That tile must connect with the tile(s) it touches on the table. For example you cannot put a road that ends on the side of town. At the end of his turn the player can put one of his meeples (colored people piece) on a feature of the tile he just placed. Your goal is to try and score point by finishing roads, towns, encircling fields before the game is over. You still get points at the end of the game if the town is not finished by then, but by then it's only 1 point per tile while if you finish it during the course of the game, it's two points per tile. Also, one more reason why you want to finish them is that you only have 7 meeples to last the whole game but once the town or road is finished, you get your meeple back and you can use it elsewhere.

Hard to explain but it's about it. As the game unfolds, there are towns that are unfinished with room to be finished and some that you can block the finishing of, thus costing your opponent some points. Had a game with TK where I had this big town, like 9 or 10 tiles scattered next to one another and it stayed there for like 15 turns before I was able to get the one tile to close it and boom, got 20 points there.

The iPhone game also has a solitaire version of the game where you start with a given tile set, i.e. a specific order in which the tiles will always come out. You try to make towns and roads of size 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6. Once you get to 6 in both town and road, you have won the game. Thing is you start with 1000 points and points are deducted to your total on every tile you place. Deduction is equal to the addition of the width to the height of your total tile placement, forcing you to try to keep everything as tight as possible. I've played maybe 7-8 solitaire game and have succeeded only the last 2 times.

You can also play it with 1 to 4 other AI players, all with varying difficulty levels. A game of that type plays in about 10-20 minutes for me.

The online game is done with push notifications and it works very well. You play your turn and wait to get push notified that the other has done his/hers. There are no time limit when you instigate a game with a friend and that was cool since TK went to London last week and was not able to play for some days yet we kept the game crawling and finished it over the weekend. There's also and quick online type of games but I have yet to try it. Maybe during the holiday break when I have some time to sit down and play uninterrupted.

Again, I know the $9.99 price point is a bit high given the iPhone market, but this a very well done game...

FM