View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 04:50 PM   #1311
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Year 100 Q4 Rankings Update

1. Ben Faille (22, FRA) - 13,520

Faille is 71-6 on the year, and has won the last 3 Slams. He has arrived at the summit, and now the only real question is how long he can stay. It's a question to be answered in years, plural, at a minimum.

2. Renke Cananis (27, DEU) - 12,190

3. Leon Polychroniadis (27, GRC) - 11,640

The deposed former kings will now battle for the #2 spot, and we could easily see them in semifinal matchups against each other. That would just feel weird.

4. Themis Xanthos (27, CYP) - 7,300

5. Jochen Weigle (25, SUI) - 5,720

Weigle is up to a career-best, and the question now is if he can replicate the run at the USO, or if it was a magical one-off. I'll guess the latter for now.

6. Toni Bardales (26, ESP) - 5,590

7. Solitris Papadias (27, GRC) - 4,930

Nice showing at the US Open semis and big upset of Cananis. Solitris is still steady and ready to cause problems if given the opportunity.

8. Oleg Urazov (23, CAN) - 3,950

Continuing to establish himself at the 'grown-up table'.

9. Ale Ballok (25, ITA) - 3,115

Ballok's stop in the Top 8 was brief and fortuitous it would seem.

10. Eddy Copperfield (28, AUS) - 2,845

Just 45 points back is Johann Przalowik. He might be the player that finally kicks Copperfield off the front page.

246. Sushant Srivastava (24, SRI)

200 seems close from here, but in reality he needs about 50% more ranking points to get there and they won't be easy to come by. Srivastava is actually somewhat over-ranked at this point. He'll keep grinding away, and I definitely expect him to get there eventually. Playing at the Australian Open to start next year is a possible goal.

370. Manoj Datar (32, SRI)

Quarterfinal or semifinal appearances in futures are the most common for Datar these days. He's pretty much settled and just drifting slowly downwards.

1233. Aparna Chandrasekharan (19, SRI)

Chandrasekharan is in a similar situation vis a vis Amateurs as Srivastava is in futures. Next week he'll have an opportunity to push even closer to graduating.

261. Girish Raychaudhari (15, SRI)

I think Raychaudhari will be near the mid-200s for the rest of the year, then make the usual jump with other juniors turning pro.

Really the same tale for all my players to a degree - keep working, stay in the holding pattern or move up a bit, wait to see what happens with the WTC at the end of the year. We're now at 14 weeks until we find out if we get to participate next year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote