View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #552
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The moment you pass through the portal you are assailed by an overwhelming odour of decay. The vile stench of putrefaction has been ever-present since you landed upon the shores of this unwholesome realm, but the reek that occupies the chamber you have now entered is immeasurably worse. Your innate Magnakai Discipline of Nexus protects you from the harmful effects of this diseased odour, yet even so you feel nauseous and heavy-headed: lose 1 ENDURANCE point.

The walls drip with a yellow slime that radiates a dim fluorescence by which you can see an open archway in the far wall. Eager to escape from this stench-filled chamber, you enter and explore a tunnel which lies beyond the archway. Unfortunately the stench is no better here. In fact, the further you explore this twisting passageway the worse it becomes. Yet you press on regardless, allowing your instincts and your Kai senses to guide you to the source of the alien power that lies somewhere within this foul lair.

The tunnel continues for more than a mile, descending deeper by ramp and stair until it arrives at a vast circular chamber. Here you discover a huge door fashioned from a strange, shimmering green metal. Runes adorn its carved panels, mirroring those that are engraved in a large circle in the centre of the stone floor.

(I have visited Moguirith)

This circular hall is chillingly familiar, although you are sure that you have never been here before. Then a cold shiver runs down your spine when suddenly you recall where it was that you saw a chamber and runes uncannily similar to these. It was in Mogaruith, in the antechamber to Arch Druid Cadak’s Throne Hall.

You magnify your vision and focus on the runes that decorate the floor. They are similar to those you encountered on the portal to this subterranean labyrinth when first you entered, and you feel your pulse quicken when slowly you are able to decipher part of their meaning:
‘Ye who seek entry to the Hall of the Künae, renounce all falsehood and trickery for thou art transparent beneath our gaze. Pay homage to the Lords of Decay lest thy soul be devoured by the insatiable horde of Nemagog. Place gold within the circle for thy wish to be fulfilled, base metal without for thy fate to be sealed.’

With great caution, you cross the floor of the chamber and examine the engraved surface of the portal after a gentle push confirms that the door is locked. You were hoping that the runes which cover this great metal portal would reveal how it can be opened, but to your dismay they merely catalogue (in sickening detail) the evil accomplishments of the Künae. Then you discover three small slots: one circular, one square, and one triangular in shape.

( I am out of gold crowns)

moving as close to the door as you dare, you carefully examine the three small openings and see that there are narrow chutes at the rear of each slot which drop to the base of the door. Your Kai Sixth Sense warns you that a powerful magical energy is present in the base of this portal, an energy that could prove dangerous if the door is forced or tampered with.

(I do have KA)

aving determined that the force protecting this door is magical, you decide to cast the Brotherhood Spell Counterspell upon it to cancel its effect.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If your current ENDURANCE points score is 20 or higher, add 1 to the number you have picked. If your present Kai rank is Sun Thane or higher, add a further 1

(I add 2 and I toss 6 total 8)

You sense a sorcerous resistance to your Counterspell, but the power of your Brotherhood magic proves strong enough to overcome this reaction. There is a sharp crackling noise and spiders of fiery blue electrical arcing appear all around the circular slot. Then they flicker and fade and you suddenly hear another sound, a grating squeal. Anxiously you watch as the great portal slowly swings open.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote