View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
He's better then his brother today. They are really more similar then you'd like to admit. Weaver the elder pieced together 1400 league average innings coming into this season, which is better then 95% of the pitchers who have appeared in the majors.

Again it's a few starts and don't go crazy until he's been around the league.

I'm not. I'm just calling him a super prospect, not a bonafide major league star. Brien Taylor was a super prospect, too. So was Rick Ankiel. Plenty of super-hyped players don't end up doing squat. What I have been trying to say all along is that he belongs in the conversation when you're talking about the recent influx of terrific young pitching talent into the league.

I'm not making promises of Hall of Fame induction or even saying he will end up an above avergae pitcher.

As for his comparison to Weaver, don't presuppose to guess what I would "like to admit". He is very similar to his brother in many ways. They are both pitchers with less than 95mph fastballs, decent command of their pitches, and high flyball rates. They even both wear their hair the same.

What you may be forgetting is that when Jeff Weaver came up with the Tigers, no one questioned his talent. He was a very good, young starting pitcher. But he was very inconsistent, and tended to think himself out of games. This only got worse as he played in big cities like New York and LA. Jeff Weaver is a pitcher with terrific talent--and a messed up head on the mound.

Jered Weaver has the same talent, but he hasn't displayed the tendencies to implode when things go badly for him. That's where he is much better than his brother. If Jered can continue to show that poise, he will have the chance to maximize his ability that his brother never had, and become a much better, more consistent pitcher. Only time will tell if that ends up being the case, though. But he's off to a good start.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote