View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #104
QuikSand
lolzcat

2035 Late Free Agency

We have an unexpected holdout, and that mucks up my late-season renegotiation planning.

Quote:

I have decided to hold out until I receive a new contract.

I believe I made a huge difference rushing the passer last season. I believe I'm very seriously underpaid, and will not report to camp without a new contract.

We can’t go into the season without him, but we have a flood of key players in walk years – so I will try to hold out and get him to knuckle under.

Last season in late free agency, we didn’t see much to like, and ended up just re-signing one of our own decent players. No such worries here. There are a load of quality guys out there, and my choice is whether to take a chance on an older DL who could be a major difference-maker, or just to go after a young player who could help us at a slot like ILB or OG.

I decide to make a serious play for DT Jake Rolfe, an 8th year guy who is rated 83/83 overall, and has been a four-time all pro already. He’s a monster, but missed half last season with a bad injury – he looks okay now, but might be dicey. We are trying to get into the mix without compromising our ability to sign our rookies under the cap – so there is no guarantee that our 2yr $44m deal will prevail, despite a $20m bonus. If it falls through with Rolfe, we will have options elsewhere, but I am hoping to bring him aboard and to lock him up as a starting DE for us. If Rolfe can come back and play all year, he will be an impact player wherever he lands.

Right away, Jacksonville had the lead for Rolfe with a 4yr, $73m offer – but mine is better per year overall. I just hope that my thin first year salary doesn’t kill me.

Week three is decision time, and he signs with… us! w00t!

I am a bit disappointed to see that he won’t easily move to the DE slot – it’s an 84% transition for him. So, I guess we will play him at DT – he has posted a PR% of 7 or better there, and as many as 15 sacks, so it’s not like he can’t be an impact player at DE for us.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote