View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #603
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
But when we're talking statistics, less than 100 people in this country die from burglary related homicides. Even less from strangers. You're as likely to die from a bee sting as you are from a random home intruder. I don't think you leave the house in a beekeepers suit.

My day job is risk management, and this is precisely why I struggle so much with most of the reasons given to justify gun ownership in the US. If there's a 0.025% chance that the rifle I have at home would be used to defend my family against an intruder vs a 0.05% chance that my kid would accidentally shoot themselves with it, I mean.... There are actual numbers out there, it's possible to determine the likelihood of some of these events happening.

The only one I buy is post-Katrina type situations in certain areas, based on the god awful job the US government has done there in recent history, and it's an argument for improvement in the US government's crisis response rather than it is for arming your citizens to defend their families & homes with their lives.