View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #630
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Just to be clear here, tarcone's, ahem, Ben Shapiro's issue here is with what is being counted as a school shooting, not with the data collection. Everytown has been clear that their definition of a school shooting includes any time a firearm discharges a live round inside or into a school building or on a school grounds. They revised their initial account because of an erroneous press report regarding the status of the school (the school had been shuttered and wasn't going to re-open (so their count through February was 17 instead of 18 I believe).

A few points here:

-as Shapiro points out, one school shooting is too many. I'd argue we should be talking about how to prevent them rather than what counts as one.
-about 20% of school shootings/gun incidents are unintentional discharge of a weapon.
-school shootings and mass shootings in particular remain rare, and we obviously see them increase when there are more guns (i.e., teachers with guns) in a school setting.

I don’t know who Ben Shapiro is, which side he leans, but it doesn’t matter to the context - it seems to me that there is not much addressing of the crucial parts of posts in this thread, just throwing up objections to avoid the crux of the debate.

So if the objection was the number of shootings I referred to, cool, let’s agree on their definition of that number, it’s not important to the essence of the post.

Now we’ve removed the objection, maybe we can address the rest of the issue, which is the meat and bones.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote