View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 02:54 AM   #1222
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Early May

The two-week break before the clay season heats up was next. While the other three players took the time to practice and rest, Nasir Chittoor needed matches. One of the best opportunities for getting points in the smaller events was the second week, with three 250-level events. I chose the Estoril Open, and was seeded #3. I expected second, but Constantino Gonzoles, the top seed, was a late entrant. He had some early-round struggles but got through. Nasir had no such issues, swatting aside Henricksson in the quarterfinals. The two met in the semis, and I figured Chittoor to be a slight favorite - instead he easily won a decisive 6-4, 6-2 victory! There were upsets in the other half, and it ended up being Markus Gronhag, who I've previously discussed, waiting. The Norwegian is still ranked around 50th but better than that - again I thought Nasir would have a slight edge. He pulled through 5-7, 6-4, 7-5 … but he shouldn't have. Gronhag had one fewer break in twice the opportunities, and Nasir had to serve 138 times to his opponents 98. It was largely luck - and would have been every bit as big for Markus if he prevailed - but I'll take it; a first professional title is a big boost and goes a long way towards excising the disappointment from those hardcourt masters events.

I checked some of my other players, and this is basically right in line with when they won their first professional title. Mehul took a year longer (it was actually a 500 for him), Kasaravalli a LOT longer, Mooljee was several months earlier but Girsh, Chiba, Dudwadkar were all around the same timeframe, within weeks. So basically I'm right on schedule here. Nasir is also in the earliest stages of declining from his physical peak now, which made it a good opportunity for another comparison with Fitzpatrick … and darned if it isn't still super close. Leapfrogged the Irishman in the rankings with this win - though we must continue to recognize that Mark Smith is still ahead of both - but that's a dance that is simply going to continue. Right now it seems clear that Nasir is better on clay, TFitz is superior on hardcourts, and both continue to look for any small edge they can find. It won't be long before regular direct confrontations come, a year or at most two I'd say, but it's still a 'cold war' here.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-14-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote