View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #17879
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The wording is goofy, but what is the "righter" thing? Carrying out impeachment proceedings full well knowing it won't work, and could possibly cost the Dems the election, or just focusing on beating him in 2020?

What does "work" mean? Getting the Senate to remove him is unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible. Getting a more clear picture of the multitude of legal and ethical lapses going on in the executive branch is "working" for me.

I don't buy the idea that a vigorous investigatory agenda will somehow make Trump more popular. Not enough people know that government departments are shoveling money to the Trumps through their hotels. Not enough people know that security clearances have been handed out over repeat objections of the FBI, and holders of those clearances are sharing secret information with people they shouldn't. Not enough people know that McConnell and Chao sure seem to be working with the Chinese and Russians. And I could go on and on.

Exposing all of this is not going to make him more popular. It's also going to make it more difficult for the next president to do the same things. Trump benefits from silence, which, fortunately he's too dumb to realize. The more he's in the news, generally, the worse his poll numbers.