View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Scrimmage

We have a lot to tweak, mainly guards getting guicker in their pulls and our Centers going the right way on sweep and Bootleg pass. Also we could have done better with blocking downfield, but we work that more after we get the point of attack blocking a bit cleaner than it is now.

The scrimmage was set up so our Offense and Defense both had 30 plays. The first set of 10 was our #3/4 Offense vs our #3/4 Defense. Then 10 plays with our #2 Offense and Defense against each other. Then our #1 Offense for 10 plays against the JV #2 Defense and our #1 Defense against the JV #1 Offense (they subbed in 2's here and there as well)

All Offensive series start from the 40 and go back if you don't get a first down in 4 plays. Also any turnovers bring it back to the 40 as well. I won't use our terminiology in the breakdown (since it wouldn't really mean anything) but instead just give the generic description of the play.

First Set #3 Frosh O vs #3 Frosh D
1-Weakside Belly: 11 yds (QT and QG made a nice hole, as good as we ran it all night)
2-Buck Sweep Strong: -2 yds (Missed down block on DT and QB never got handoff away)
3-Bootleg Pass Strong: Sack -4 yds (Center went backside instead of playside)
4-Buck Sweep Weak: 14 yds (TB gave us a great edge and guards got upfield well)
5-Strongside Belly: 7 yds (Got the 1st down, this play needs work, it was all FB)
6-Buck Sweep Strong: 14 yds TD (TB could have been more patient, but result was good)
7-Bootleg Pass Weak: 9 yds (QB stumbled and kept the ball, good choice on his behalf as it was covered)
8-Trap Weak: 8 yds (Again mostly our FB, this is tight against our D alignment, but we got decent gains all night)
9-Buck Sweep Strong: 18 yds (Good patience by TB this time, set blocks nicely)
10-Trap Strong: 5 yds (missed a second TD by inches, looked fairly good)

Series Stats: Rushing: 10 - 80 yds 1 TD. Passing: 0 - 0 (1 Sack, 1 Scramble)

Second Set #2 Frosh O vs #2 Frosh D

1-Trap Strong: 7 yds (We double teamed the trap man = bad, but free NG just missed the tackle)
2-Buck Sweep Strong: 9 yds (Point of attack a bit congested, nice cutback by our TB)
3-Buck Sweep Weak: 8 yds (Again looked very good, defensed well, blocked better)
4-Buck Sweep Strong: 2 yds (WB missed his block on the Sam and backside guard tripped, not pretty)
5-Belly Waggle Pass: 8 yds (Great fake by QB, took what the coverage gave him)
6-Bootleg pass Strong: Incomplete (FB wide open for TD but dropped ball)
7-Strongside Belly: 6 yds TD (QB came too deep and FB not wide enough, but he runs hard, carried 3 into the endzone)
8-Weakside Belly: 8 yds (Again looked pretty good, our TB's all block well, which is huge for this play)
9-Trap Weak: 14 yards: (Not pretty, but the hole was enough and our FB moved the pile again)
10-Bootleg Pass Weak: 12 yds (real nice job on this play, best of the series, we end up on the 6 yard line)

Another pretty solid series as the skill level jumps up a bit

Series Stats: Rushing: 7 - 62 yds 1 TD. Passing: 2 - 3 20 yds

Third Set #1 Frosh O vs #2 JV D
1-Belly Waggle Pass: 11 yds (Fake could have better, but blocked well and our TB made 2 defenders miss)
2-Buck Sweep Strong: -3 (Center missed front side A gap, this worries me a bit as all 3 centers are having some trouble here. It will be fixed ASAP)
3-Buck Sweep Weak: 14 yds (This is usually just a keep the Defense honest play for me, but as well as it is working tonight I will run it a lot more in game one)
4-Bootleg Pass Strong: Incomplete (Executed fairly well, our FB dropped the ball)
5-Weakside Belly: 18yds TD (Blocked very well up front and our FB ran over a DB to take it home)
6-Buck Sweep Strong: 5 yds (WB missed his block, SG did good job picking up the leakage, but the CB was free to make the tackle)
7-Weakside Belly: 6 yds (This one got clogged up, FB bounced outside and did what he could)
8-Bootleg Pass Weak: Incomplete (Routes and protection were good, just good coverage by the Defense who knocked the pass down)
9-Buck Sweep Weak: 6 yds (Nice job by the WB to pick his way through a tight hole)
10-Strongside Belly: 2 yds (Hole was there inside, FB got inpatient and tired to stretch it)

Series Stats: Rushing: 7 - 48 yds 1 TD. Passing: 1 - 3 11 yds

Overall scrimmage Stats: Rushing: 24 - 190 yds 3 TDs. Passing 3 - 6 31 yds.

If this was a game I would definitely take it. I am very happy and after we fix the few issues we have, this group will definitely be potent offensively if we take care of the ball....This leads to most important stat of the scrimmage, zero turnovers!!! The kids really played hard and out Defense held the JV's to a single TD as well for the 7-7 tie, as mentioned before something never accomplished by a freshmen class before.

We gave up a TD pass on the JV's first play on a blown coverage, but hung in there getting a sack, a fumble recovery and a tackle for loss. They also had 3-4 fairly good runs, but we bent and did not break. The most impressive part of our Defensive series though was that our kids ran to the ball well and played very physical, never shying away contact against the JV's. This will serve us well as we have have a couple of physical teams on our schedule and I know our kids will get after it now!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote