View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #759
Radii
Head Coach

2020/21 Florida State Roster

The ratings changes in parenthesis are comparing the previous year's roster overview, so it includes all in season dev last year and the offseason. Exactly a calendar year basically.

Starting Lineup

PG Damien Forte - SO - 6'2" 192 lbs - 79 OVR (+3)

87 speed/84 quickness, 80 defense/84 steals. 83 hands/89 passing, a great passer. 83 close/74 med/73 3/85 off the dribble. He's improved a bit most everywhere, though he hasn't made any defensive gains. I wonder if I should work on his defense more this year or allow him to continue to improve his offense and speed and passing at a good rate.

SG JS Moye - SR - 6'4" 197 lbs - 83 OVR (+2)

91 speed/88 quickness. 84 defense/84 steals, very pleased with those numbers. 86 close/78 med/81 3/82 off the dribble/80 in traffic. Moye is great at getting by most defenders but he runs into trouble near the basket if he's heavily defended. He gets a lot of shots blocked and comes away empty a lot without an open lane to the hoop.

SF Kueth Ozier - SO - 6'5" 239 lbs - 80 OVR (+2)

85 speed/84 quickness. 78 defense/71 steals. 79 close/81 med/66 3/91 in traffic. He's a solid rebounder and post player as well (79 post offense, 77 orb/80 drb). I struggled greatly getting Ozier points last year. He's got great speed for a SF but doesn't have a good blowby move. I may try to get him to post up other SF's more this year. I'd consider a 3-guard lineup with Barrett(see below) but Ozier's rebounding helps to make up for Sneed's mediocre rebounding so much. I don't want to give that up.

PF Otis Sneed - SO - 6'10" 222 lbs - 79 OVR (+1)

Just 1 point of overall dev last year. He did improve nicely as a defensive rebounder, and hopefully that shows on the court. He also grew an inch. 80 orb/84 drb. 81 post offense/82 post defense. 92 close/92 in traffic. 78 midrange jumper. Sneed had some good offensive games last year, and I expect more this year. Good post skills combined with great close range and in traffic shooting ability and I hope to see some huge games here.

C Florentino McCants - FR - 7'0" 224 lbs - 78 OVR

84 orb/86 drb. 83 post off/80 post def. 86 close/84 in traffic. Strong, 76 STR(B+). He's got great awareness numbers (76 off/77 def). He's fast for a big man and has decent hands for a big man as well. I have no reservations at all about putting McCants right into the lineup. 7 foot size with that rebounding and post ability... hell, if I can get my offense going and score more, McCants should be a legit contender for national freshman of the year if I use him well.

Backups

PG Damion Alloway - SO - 6'0" 185 lbs - 76 OVR (+3)

93 speed/85 quickness. 82 defense/72 steals. 87 hands/85 passing, both very solid. 86 close/66 med/79 3/86 off the dribble. Good leaper(80/B-), decent strength and hustle as well(B-/C+). I can't look at his ratings and figure out why, but alloway is explosive going to the hoop and I'm more comfortable sending him into traffic than I am anyone else on the team. Forte is developing great but Alloway has A- potential and is going to stay on the heels of the starters all 4 years.

SG Prosper Day - FR - 6'3" 204 lbs - 73 OVR

84 speed/80 quickness. 80 defense/78 steals. 87 close/72 med/83 3/82 off the dribble. Day is a good athlete, 78 vert/72 str/85 hustle(C+/B/B+). I'll have to see how he does driving to the basket but his combination of close and 3 point rating give me some hope that i have another dangerous slasher who can get to the rim if guarded tight and stroke the 3 if loosely guarded. Awareness is awful. 62/64 (C-/C). C+ potential.

SG Ike Barrett - SO - 6'4" 199 lbs - 80 OVR (+2)

Barrett is hard to keep out of the starting lineup. He has a lot to be really excited about. 89 speed/87 quickness. 86 close/80 med/64 3/80 in traffic. 77 o awareness/76 d awareness. Both very solid. And the big, huge, glaringly good rating: 89 defense (A-)/78 steals(B). More on this later. Barrett has some seriously good skills and needs to be used to his fullest.

PF Brice Sanders - SO - 7'0" 239 lbs - 79 OVR (+2)

Sanders grew an inch and I have two 7 footers now. Here's the problem though... McCants is a much better rebounder, and Sneed is a much more polished offensive player. So Sanders will be a guy who gets a lot of action for the backups. 81 orb/80 drb. 77 post off/83 post def. 92 close/84 in traffic. Great dunker, with a 76 vert and 70 str to go with his size. Good shot blocker too (76/B)

C Benjamin Slater - JR - 6'10" 230 lbs - 76 OVR (+2)

Slater is a solid backup. 79 orb/81 drb. 78 post off/77 post def. 85 close/87 in traffic. He's my best shot blocker and it isn't even close(88/A-). He was a pretty poor freshman when I took over the team and obviously won't start ever for me but he's a serviceable backup.

Reserves

PG Pearson McClurkin - SO - 5'10" 172 lbs - 73 OVR (+3) - REDSHIRT

McClurkin almost redshirted last year but made solid gains off the bench. But with Alloway as a natural PG and Day a good SG backup, McClurkin is the odd man out. He'll redshirt this year unless I have injury issues. 86 speed/89 quickness. 79 defense. 81 hands/81 passing. 81 close/72 med/74 3/83 off the dribble. B+ potential and he's developed real well so far. But he has no shot to catch Forte or Alloway for a roster spot.

Most of these spots are totally set in stone. I guess McCants could turn out to suck and Sanders could take the starting center job, but that feels real unlikely.

the big decision is at SF. Ozier can play in the post and can rebound. In theory he can score but he didn't really do it for me last year and with Forte, Moye, Sneed and McCants out there, Ozier is almost certainly going to be my #5 option. Basically... he's in there to help rebound.

Barrett is a natural SG but he's 6'4", just an inch shorter than Ozier. And he is a lockdown defender... 89/A- defense, great speed, a good steals guy, and similar looking offensive ratings. Better awareness too.

If the addition of McCants means that I don't need Ozier's rebounding, he probably loses hsi spot. I *really* like that defense. Against teams like UNC and Clemson who have elite level guards I will probably start Barrett as well. Against teams with bigger/stronger SF's, Ozier might be better.

Our team roster strength at the start of last season was 85. Now its 88. 87 offense/88 defense/88 shooting/92 rebounding/86 coach.

That'll improve to 89 during the year of course, *maybe* 90 but its hard to say. We're losing Moye after this season but Barrett will almost certainly slide right into his starting slot. I don't think any of these guys are going to develop into 88 rated lottery picks, but the next 3 years look *really* exciting.

Last edited by Radii : 04-29-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote