View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 02:44 PM   #210
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawlinsFan View Post
Can anyone explain the AI when it comes to drafting? I have started a number of universes now and have bounced between preferential and full draft choices. One thing that stands out is that some of the AI choices, especially in the top of round one, are questionable. Example, my latest run had me picking at 16 so for the most part I would assume that there wouold be at least 15 QB's picked before me in order to solidify that position moving forward but thats not the case. In this instance the previous 15 teams picked 6 QB's, 4 T's, 3 DE's and 2 DT's. I grabbed a 1st year QB at 16 that appears to have the makings of a solid HOF career that should never have been passed over. From here there were only 3 other QBs's drafted in this round for a total of 10 out of the 32.

I have played MP off and on for, damn, 14-15 years now and dabbled with SP some and rememebr similar instances in FOF7 and FOF8 and as much as I try I just can't understand or appreciate the reason why the game does what it does when it comes to this.

Someone make me smarter!
My observation is that it's heavily biased toward the adjusted rating, especially in a full 53-round draft where it perceives that it needs to fill ALL positions. So...I'm looking right now at an 8.8 adjusted rating DT, overall ratings 84/84...vs an 8.7 adjusted rating QB---overall ratings 52/52. (Both happen to be the same age, so good comparison.) I'm thinking in that case, the DT is the better pick, because you can probably pick up a modestly-lower rated QB (like say 44/44) several rounds later...

...and yeah, the DT went #10, and the QB didn't go until the 4th round. I don't have a real problem with that, because, as I suspected, there would be plenty of somewhat-but-not-terribly worse QBs available much later. (A 45/45 year 5 guy went in round 11, for example.) My general observation on this over the years is that it's not something in need of any major change, but I haven't paid TOO close attention to it, either. (I still would argue that I'd love a setting where the AI could have a "perfect" view of all players in the amateur draft, though, so that it is always drafting by real ratings rather than scouted ones for more of a challenge.) Sure, one might argue that the 52/52 QB has more of an impact on the team than the 84/84 DT, which in a vacuum MAY be correct. However, when you consider that this league has 16 QBs with future potential in the 45 to 49 range, the opportunity cost of grabbing that 52 guy early doesn't make sense to me. I suspect that's why it's working as it does. I know for me when *I* am doing an allocation--especially in FOF9 where the avoid interception rating is exposed--once the best QB in a pref draft is below 60ish, I think I probably end up building a better team by just waiting on a 43/43 guy with 60+ "good decisions."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-10-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote