View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #1255
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

You are going to accuse me of nitpicking and pulling out a single point, but its such a key part of your argument I think its worth noting
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Weapons are more powerful and have been pushed harder. The NRA shifted toward anti-government and white nationalist rhetoric trying to persuade people that they need to stockpile weapons for the impending purge or black family moving into the neighborhood.

The above, especially the bolded, is why I think most discourse shuts down on this board.

This is pure fear mongering and fallacy. Much of the debate and outrage for gun attacks has centered around the 'AR platform' the AR-15 is almost entirely unchanged since 1965. Even the M4 variant goes back unchanged to 1984.

Honestly, there have been few if any advances in held weapon technology in the last 30 years. Now if we get into pure speed military full auto weapons, yes there are more recent advancements. But I dont think there has been a single shooting using these in American civilian history.

Secondly, why you find it necessary to make every single debate a race discussion is beyond me. I'm not sure what you hope to gain in the argument by your "black family in the neighborhood" comment.
I honestly don't even know what your point is there. Is it that only white people own guns and sport shoot? Is it that only racist own guns? Do you think black people do not enjoy legal and responsible gun ownership and usage? Do you think these same black people fear other black people moving into "their" neighborhoods?

I mean really this is a puzzling and useless comment to me. But you have a major history of race baiting and trying to marginalize any opposing opinion as racist here, so I am not going to spend a lot of time arguing this point.

Quote:
There's probably a lot of reasons why things have changed.

The media likely plays a role. But I think that's a result of what the public wants. People love digging through the killers life. Seeing what his political affiliations are, scouring his manifesto, etc.

I don't really believe TV or movies plays much of a role, but I do think society glorifies guns and violence to a point that it does.

I dont know how big of a role any media plays, I do think it desensitizes us though. I remember when TEN first came out. Before the video...the shock my friends and I felt as high schoolers at the song Jeremy. OMG he brought a gun to school. I remember well thinking the message was he shot his classmates...then later the video and the suicide message but that wasnt our initial takeaway...but if I heard that song today I probably dont even stop and take notice. I mean Cop Killer caused a senate floor debate and protests in the street. The words today wouldnt even be the most shocking thing on the last 5 songs in the playlist...

So does that desensitize us? I dont know. I dont think its to blame either, I just think it is worth at least thinking about the effects.

Quote:
There's a weird fetish some people have with militarizing everything. I saw a commercial for "tactical" sunglasses the other night. There's an entire industry built around selling weapons and gear to fat losers so they can feel manly.

Again I think you start with a good point then feel the need to lose that point in a stereotype.
I think the militarization of everything comes from the fact that America spends a disproportionate mount of money developing military tech. Many of the latest greatest inventions spring from military origins. So I think that's the marketing "genius". The tech glasses thing, I've seen as well and thought funny.

Not sure where you are going with the "fat losers so they can feel manly" thought train.
I dont think data will show mass murderers to be disproportionately obese to societal numbers. I'm not sure if you arent concerned about skinny, fit or athletic gun owners.

We get it you dont like guns. So you seem to project anyone who does as some lesser life form. Racist, or Unfit, or a Loser or whatever. I mean for God's sake we are on a text sim video game forum. Is there anything in the world that stereotypes overweight, nerd loser more than text sim video games? Yet I dont think that profile fits most.

But lets just marginalize and shame and whitewash what we disagree with, that usually works out so well.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-09-2019 at 02:47 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote