View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 August 2014

The preseason is over, and I've managed to find 19 lads who are willing to pull on St Andrews' sky blue kit to open the 2014/15 season. Let's meet them now.

At this level, it's impossible to find truly skilled players, but I tried to put together a team that plays fairly attractive football. I'm going to send them out to play a simple 4-4-2, but I'm looking for players with the ability to see options other than "hit it up the pitch to the big lads" and the technical skill to execute them. And I want them to work hard for the shirt.

The players' star ratings come to you from my assistant manager, Elliot Beech. His ratings for Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential are 4 apiece, so you might want to take what Elliot thinks with several grains of salt.

Goalkeepers

In Ward and Watkins, I really have a number 1 and a number 1A. Ward is better at organizing his defense and, surprisingly, he's better in the air. Watkins is quicker and a bit more athletic. Both keepers are fairly comfortable on the ball.

I'll probably let Ward start the season opener, since he outplayed Watkins by a narrow margin during preseason. However, I wouldn't hesitate to give the shirt to Watkins for a must-win match.

Defenders

I ask quite a bit of my fullbacks, whom I expect to push up and join in the attack from time to time, overlapping with the midfielder on their side. Ricketts will be the left back, with Foley opposite him on the right. I wish they had more pace, but they both have the requisite work rare for the position, and Foley has an especially strong mental makeup.

Calvert will be a fixture at center back. His positioning and decision making are excellent for a player so young, and he's tough and brave. My staff prefer Blackburn as Calvert's partner, but I like the combination of skills Pearson brings. Stuart is a little faster than Roger is, and I like having a player like Roger, who can cover anywhere on the back line, on the bench. Roger also has a good long throw, which can be a potent weapon. Suffice it to say both men will play a lot.

Cross, who is a more natural midfielder, can fill in at left back. Taylor and West are extremely versatile players who might also see some duty in our back four.

Midfielders

I always look to build a team around an assertive presence in the middle of the park. Collis looks like he'll be that kind of player. Athletic and industrious, he'll be the more defensively-oriented player in our CM pairing, but he's far from a one-dimensional destroyer.

I have two good options for the more creative central midfielder. I like Huckerby more than my staff do. He is an especially smooth passer. Cumming is a well-rounded footballer who does a little of everything. Both of them played well in the preseason, and I'm going to give both of them a chance to secure a spot in the first XI.

Blankley and Smith, the wide midfielders, are very similar players. Both have bags of pace and will work hard, and I wish both would track back a bit more reliably. If I want more defensive contribution from the wide men, I can call on Cross or West; both of them are also available for duty as holding midfielders when I have a lead to protect.

All the midfielders are capable of playing more than one position, which is an indispensable quality in a smaller squad.

Forwards

I'm going with a traditional creator/scorer pairing up front. The first role will probably be played by Hackett, who has the size and strength to hold up the ball and the awareness to play in his partner. He's not fast, and Elliot Beech comments on his "fairly volatile temperament."

The scorer's part will go to Thompson. He'll beat all but the quickest center halves for pace, and if he can improve his composure, he'll be a deadly finisher.

Westlake looks like a slightly less-talented version of Thompson. He demonstrated an eye for goal during the preseason. Walker, the fourth striker, can fill either role, but his lazy streak concerns me. And then there's Taylor, who can--and will--play anywhere but in goal. I sense he's a player whose intangibles make him better than he should be, and I've named him our captain.

Right now, I have no idea how we'll do. The season preview gives all but one of the teams 500-1 odds against winning the league, and we're not that one team. Arnold Town are tipped as 1-3 favorites to lift the trophy.

Ray Collis is, however, the media's pick for the player to watch this season.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote