View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

8 November 2014

So much for quarterly updates. I think it will be more fun to write up each match (or two), so I don't forget things.

Saturday, 1 November
AFC Wulfrunians v. St Andrews
FA Vase, 1st Round Proper

4-4-2: Watkins; Oakley, Pearson, Calvert, Ricketts; Smith, Collis, Cross, Blankley; Hackett, Thompson.

Wulfrunians are a mid-table club in the Midland Football League, a level above us. That means their Greys--and they fielded a side with seven of them--are a bit better than the ones we encounter on a regular basis.

Counting the match officials, there were more people on the pitch than in the stand for this one. They watched Alfie Hackett and Tony Thompson score in the first half hour, and that was enough to see us through.

Callum Smith set up both goals and was named Man of the Match. Steve Calvert, with nine tackles and 21 interceptions, led our defensive efforts.

Saturday, 8 November
Anstey Nomads v. St Andrews
Premier Division
4-4-2: Ward; Foley, Pearson, Blackburn, Ricketts; Smith, Collis, Cumming, Blankley; Thompson, Hackett.

Nomads are a local rival; their Cropston Road grounds, on the north side of Leicester, are only about seven miles from Canal Street. It took 24 seconds for Tony Thompson to put the ball in the back of the net, quieting the crowd, who were still finding their places.

Thompson scored twice more, giving him 12 in league play, best in the division. All four defenders acquitted themselves well in front of Sam Ward, especially Ashley Foley (13 tackles) and Roger Blackburn (11 aerial duels won, 18 interceptions).

Another player came to me with concerns about playing time, and I couldn't persuade him to stop pouting. So, Raiff Westlake is no longer with the club. He leaves after making four appearances, scoring one goal.

I brought three young strikers in for trials, and if one of them impresses me, I'll sign him up.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 12-27-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote