View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #11
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
One of these years, I have to try to start a career at one of these super low levels...seems like it would be a lot of fun and a heck of a challenge.

Keep it up!

You're right on both counts--it's a lot of fun, and it can be very challenging. There's something going on in this game that's a bit surprising, though. Many of the other teams in our league have a number of "grey players" in their squads, and they don't appear to be in much of a hurry to fix the problem.

Our players aren't being pursued by other teams, either. Usually when I try to manage an amateur team, I'm continually watching players sign with clubs where they can pick up a pay envelope. That's not happening this time. Nobody's put in an offer for any of our players, which surprises me, given our success so far. Tony Thompson is 19 years old, and he's scored 21 goals by the end of November. Wouldn't you think there would be a semipro club around Leicester who would know about Tony and take a chance on him?

Contrast that with what happened when you were managing Queen's Park. Your better players were courted by semiprofessional teams fairly regularly. I'd like to see more of that in my career; even if it's frustrating, it seems more realistic.

I wonder if my save game has too many free agents available, so the AI teams don't feel the need to try to poach players who are already with a club. But that ought to make it easy for these teams to move past the point where they're putting five or six "greys" in their starting elevens.

I've been tinkering with different setups, using different database sizes, to see if I can find a balance that I like better. If I do, I'll press "rewind" and begin a new St Andrews career.

Thanks for stopping by, NoSkillz.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote