View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #390
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Chilli contest leaves two in hospital | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online
Quote:
Chilli contest leaves two in hospital

Emergency services were called to Kismot Restaurant’s curry-eating challenge, on St Leonards Place, Edinburgh, after competitors started writhing on the floor in agony, vomiting and fainting during the contest.
One participant, Curie Kim was so ill after sampling the “Kismot Killer” that she had to be taken by ambulance to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary twice in a matter of hours.

The Scottish Ambulance Service said it wanted the restaurant to review the way the event was managed. Paramedics attended the event on Saturday - the busiest day of the week for the ambulance service - costing the service several hundred pounds.

Participants were required to sign a legal disclaimer prior to taking part in the competition, and two members of the British Red Cross were on hand, but they could not cope with the nature of the injuries sustained.
Curry house owner Abdul Ali admitted that he would have to “tone down” the contest, but said the challenge had raised hundreds of pounds for charity CHAS.

He added that half of the 20 people who took part in the challenge had dropped out after witnessing the first 10 diners vomiting, collapsing, sweating and panting. Previously the restaurant’s Kismot Killer dish has caused diners to suffer nose bleeds and one elderly man had to go to hospital. Curie, 21, a Korean exchange student at Edinburgh University, came second in the competition, but she admitted the accolade “came with a price”.

She said: “I’ve always enjoyed spicy foods and thought this was for a good cause. But it came with a price, I had to be taken to the ERI twice."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote