View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #70
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't know where you're getting the "many officers are fired" part but the number is incredibly low. I used to do statistical work for pension systems and the number of officers who are fired compared to the private sector is minuscule. There were major cities like DC that would go years without an officer over the age of 40 being fired.

To put it into perspective, teachers were fired at 3-4 times the rate police officers were. And we all know how hard it is to fire a teacher.

It is very hard to fire veteran officers, but much easier in most places to let them go in the first years. I wish more lawyers weren't so cautious about the advice they give regarding that. But my point was that the administration and the wardens want these people gone. I've been in these meetings. I've worked in an agency that represents the state and counties when they try to fire police officers. It's not this scenario where an officer does a bad thing and everyone is high-fiving each other and making jokes about how much power they all have. It causes a lot of angst and I wish the agencies were bolder about communicating that.

Last edited by molson : 08-12-2014 at 01:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote