View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #409
digamma
Torchbearer

Damn...lost this the first time due to an techmological differences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Don't think anybody (at least not here) said it had anything to do with the threat level. It's merely the motive for said threat.

Fine, but I still maintain that's not relevant. The self defense claim will go to what the officer perceived, not what may have caused the suspect/victim to act. I mean he could have committed worse crimes in the days or weeks before that to make him more afraid. Conversely, he could have had a really awful experience where a cop unlawfully shook him down a few days ago. And both may have been more the cause of his actions than the robbery. But, my point is I don't think any of those scenarios are relevant to the officer's (likely) claim that he acted in self defense. They only go to show what a bad (or good) person Brown was.

Put another way, what are you trying to show in court with the convenience store footage? Pretty much the only thing I can come up with is that Brown is a baddie. And, in my view, that's not at all relevant to the threat the officer perceived and to which he reacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Like attacking a unicorn.

Not really my point, but I understand how you got there. My personal feelings aside (and of course I have them) I think the release of the convenience store tape is poor police work/lawyering. Even with the best intentions, you're going to do nothing to sway public opinion and you're going to risk tainting your jury pool and losing sympathetic jurors.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote