View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Jon, you spent months talking about how Donald Trump was the only candidate in the Republican primaries worth a damn, and excoriating Clinton and Sanders (and Democrats in general) as treasonous pussies.

Yep.

Quote:
What turned you against Trump (for a while, I guess? it sounds like you crawled back home?) wasn't the outrageous nature of any of the things he said, or allegations against him

What turned me on Trump was his failure to back the "controversial" law in NC. Plain & simple. Anybody who gets one THAT glaringly obvious to any truly rational person wrong really has no business holding public office ... at least not in a world where sufficiently rational candidates are fielded for high office. Alas ...

As I explained -- which seemed necessary since I had disavowed his candidacy along the way -- the difference this time was that the potential amusement value of a Trump win outweighed the risk that he'd actually screw anything up worse than it already is. That was the difference between him & Romney, I believe the latter would have been tragically similar to an Obama administration. Trump may get few things of importance right, but I don't think he'll do much proactively to make matters worse either.

Quote:
That does not exonerate you from the charge of being a "pull the lever guy." Because that is, in fact, what you are - where there are levers to be pulled, you're only ever going to pull the one marked (R). You're just willing to lay down and hold your breath until your face turns purple if the meat the (R) candidate is feeding you isn't still mooing.

Or if it isn't fit to eat.

And just because the races aren't high enough profile to warrant discussion here does not mean that there aren't cases where I have voted for a specific candidate with a different party affiliation ... it's just been a very long time since I've seen anyone willing to associate themselves with the (D) party that didn't disqualify themselves outright for that poor judgement.