View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #316
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I was wondering if someone could help me with my set up. I just bought an over the air antenna that I want to use in addition to my internet to get rid of Comcast cable. Does anyone know of any splitters where you can have two inputs (one for the internet and one for the antenna) and two outputs?

If not does anyone have any other suggestions for how I can do it? I have two TVs, one in our living room and one in our bedroom that I want to be able to get the local channels plus a streaming service on.

They can be combined with a regular CATV splitter and then distributed over your house on the same splitters you have, in theory. But this is probably not going to be practical unless you're willing to be very involved with this setup.

The biggest issue you will run into is that Comcast is likely using the frequencies you want from your OTA antenna. So if you combine them, they will essentially cancel each other out and be unusable (where they are both using them). There are other ancillary problems of different signal levels which could be problematic if there is a large disparity between the two inputs.

The real solution would require a notch filter applied to the Comcast input at the uhf/vhf frequencies. Or a low pass and high pass filter which does the same thing. There are companies that can do custom ranges as well, but you'll have to be diligent if/when Comcast changes their system as you may wake up one day and not have internet.

I think your best bet is to dedicate 1 outlet for your Comcast modem and isolate that from the other outlets. Even if that means you need to run a cable from outside to wherever your outlets begin (or add a new outlet for the modem.....whichever is easier).
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote