View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #137
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The whole limiting loans is really a cramp on the middle class.
My daughter is eligible for $5500. Thats it, no grants. So the year wlll cost $20k. Where does that much money come from? She is an average student. So she isnt getting much scholarship money. We are dead smack in the middle class with a debt problem.

This is going to be a struggle.

We are in the same boat. Without some big scholarships, my son is not going to be able to go to a major university. I really do want him to go to the school he wants (if he will ever pick a school he wants. He still has plenty of time, but he is not very decisive.) But in the end, he might just have to pick a small mid range school that is less expensive and offers more scholarships.
I wish he had wanted to take more opportunities that were available to him. He could have gone to what is called the Career academy here, but he really likes his school. The weird part of that is his school does not have a good rep, and most kids hate being there. The school definitely holds him back.
He could dual enroll IF the system didn't require him to be able to drive. You have to go to your normal school, and then drive to the college for classes and drive back at random times in the day. He will not be 16 till his senior year.
We did have another offer from a small college in the middle part of the state. It would allow him to dual enroll, but basically he would be a college freshman on campus then walk at his high school in two years, with two years of college behind him. They haven't talked numbers on aid, but the recruit is constantly bugging my wife tell her that would do just about anything to get him there. But, being two+ hours away from the house, my wife is not letting her baby go yet.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote