View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #167
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Man I am a couple years behind you guys but that train is rolling down the tracks way too fast.

My son is nearing the end of his junior year and has no clue where he wants to go to college.
He's focused so much on the athletic angle of "Who wants me AND has an engineering program they will let me enroll in while being an athlete" ..and hasn't really put much weight into any other aspects.

We are blessed to have options on multiple fronts. Both that he has scholarship offers and we are financially able to provide some (though not all) options.

What I have done with my kids, and we've had these conversations since about 4th grade on, is I have college savings plans like most everyone. The rules are:
- I pay for undergrad only. If you want a post grad degree that's on you. Hopefully its a degree that will make it easy for you to pay it back.
- Every year I tell the kids what is in their college accounts. If they want to go to a more expensive option, they are free to. But they are responsible for the cost delta.
- If you choose to not go to a 4 year degree school I will pay for a trade school and upon your graduation I will split the balance in the account with you.
-If you dont go to college or trade school, Mom and I keep the entire account balance.

Beyond that I dont know that Im where I should be on the knowledge front. Jon talking about things like frat/sorr % and costs...I dont even know where to research info like that.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote