View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Beyond that I dont know that Im where I should be on the knowledge front. Jon talking about things like frat/sorr % and costs...I dont even know where to research info like that.

It's been edufuckingcational for me over the past couple of years, that's for damned sure. My wife tells me that the go-to for that info would be the IFC (interfraternity council) webpage at the university in question. There'll usually be some sort of "guidebook" or similar document that details participation rates, a range for dues, and so forth.

To give you an idea, I'll just tell you the real costs in our case:
$450/month for 10 months a year in dues, plus at least $500ish each year for the absolute must-dos like formal (which is held out of town by tradition there). So basically $5,000 a year, and that doesn't count costs associated with living in the house (since that's kind of a trade-off, cause you gotta live & eat somewhere).

And that's just the stereotypical fraternity/sorority. That doesn't count any costs associated (typically not more than $100-$200 per) for any other fraternal organizations based on academic/service/major/etc rather than social.

It's probably all less of a shock for parents who were Greek themselves but for a devout GDI like me, it's a pretty big wtf to realize what it can cost.

On a campus that's single-digit Greek, it's pretty optional. On campuses where it's 1/3rd or more of the population however, it borders on being essential if you're looking to be fully integrated into campus life.