View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #161
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The newer games weren't selling. I think Walking Dead sold 4 million but that was years ago. Some of their new ones weren't even breaking 100k in sales.

I was kind of surprised when I heard the news but then I noticed everyone talking about it was talking about their older games and it doesn't seem like anyone is buying the new stuff.

Across all platforms they did pretty well for what they should have been, a small studio. They only made one type of game, for the most part, and over-saturated the market with those games though. When you make one type of game within a niche genre you probably shouldn't rapidly expand your studio to over 300 employees after your 1st widely successful game.

The Walking Dead was their bread and butter with 1 and 2 both selling very well, but quality started to drop off with Michonne and New Frontier. Wolf Among Us was their most successful non-WD series game and unfortunately they never got around to a sequel.

Another problem was some of the best work was in games where most fans of the IP weren't exactly the target audience for Telltale style games. I thought Borderlands was their best overall game and Batman 1 was solid with 2 outstanding. But do most video game playing Batman fans want to play an interactive story driven Batman adventure? Do Borderlands fans really want to play a Telltale game?

I'm incredibly disappointed we won't see Wolf Among Us 2 or another Telltale Borderlands game. But at the same time I realize the Borderlands game, Minecraft, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Game of Thrones probably should have never been made.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote