View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #78
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Did some yard work this weekend. Zapping those pesky weeds, clovers and rye grass. For whatever reason, made me think of controlling & containing the coronavirus and how more will pop up next weekend.

You know what sucks for me? It's the waiting game. Waiting for things to come back to semi-new-normal and knowing it's probably 4-8 weeks away before we can even think of that happening.

This is where lots of us are.

So much frustration this morning. Got a call to go to Newark for tonight, last night. Check flights, my options are one direct or go through Chicago. Chicago seemed like the best option, even though it meant leaving home about 5 hours earlier.

This isn't that big of a deal, except that I go to non-qualified status on Wednesday because I haven't had enough landings. But it's even more complicated because I was supposed to go to training and get my landings this week, but the training center has closed for cleaning so that won't happen. But it's even more complicated than that, because I don't have enough recency of experience. I need to have 100 flight hours in 120 days with the new plane. Flights where there's more than one crew, I only get half or 2/3 credit. I'm 18 hours short. That expires on the 9th, but landings class could have gotten me another month extension. But, it's even more complicated, because after this week I'm on vacation until the 14th. If I don't complete it in time I have to have another checkride, and start over from 0 once again.

Now, back to me going to Newark. The only reason I'm going is to cover staffing for the single international flight leaving EWR at 1130, and that's Tel Aviv. Problem is, I wouldn't be legal to do that, because of the whole landings thing. Now there's more they could use me for, but it would be a last minute sort of thrown together thing, in the middle of the night and while possible, it's not likely. On top of that, they have way, way more people than they need, because they are required to have a certain amount based on the total number of people available. I did this 5 times in March already. So I call scheduling back, as I'm heading to the airport, ask if I can just stay home, because they can't use me for the reason I'm going anyway. They say no of course, because they can. I call the office where my supervisor is and talk with them, they agree with me that the whole situation is dumb, but in this case, they are being trumped by highups and I have to follow through. I'm worried about being exposed any more than I need to when there's very little back in my favor here, nor am I really needed. I end up calling in sick. It's bullshit.

Don't even get me started on our spring break vacation, which has been planned for a year, and none of us can get sick before we go. The owner is refusing refunds. Use it or lose it.

The school district cancelled spring break so they could let the kids our earlier. So now they are supposed to do work then too? Which hasn't won any fans in the house.

I lost it on one of my kids because a strong gust pulled the storm door open (he was right there, didn't close it right away; didn't seem to care) and he just lazily went over to get it, as it's slamming back, instead of rushing. Ugh. Wife looks at me like I've lost my mind.

Chronic stress is a insidious foe. Little by little, it takes away your reasoning, and joy. Add in the loss of family, no outlet for grief, or to visit the cousins, and I've had enough. enough. enough. enough.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote