View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #200
miami_fan
Coordinator

A question for those who said the graduation ceremonies were not that big of a deal for them. Do you feel that way for all ceremonies?

For me, my high school graduation was much more significant for me than either of my college graduations. I walked for my undergrad and just got my masters mailed in. My wife and I got married in a court house and "at some point", we are supposed to have a more formal wedding. Let's just say the formal ceremony is not for me. I am good with what we got . Career wise, my military retirement ceremony was the only ceremony that really hit me emotionally in any sort of way but that also had just as much to do with the folks that I met and helped me throughout my career.

As I think more about it, the ceremony itself is not that big of a deal. If it were just me, I would have probably skipped most of the ceremonies. However sharing those ceremonies with the people who made the journeys with me about is extremely important.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote