View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #453
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I hope when all this is done people will appreciate their teachers more.. but I'm guessing if that happens at all, it'll be like 5 weeks before they start acting like assholes to them again.

There will be tons of appreciation for the teachers. There will be praise for the special skill set that they have Now as far as an increase in pay and providing them with the quality resources needed to do their jobs goes... okay I will save that for another thread.

I am interested in what the takeaways are from this time for both parents and for educators. I hope both groups are learning valuable lessons. To be fair on parents, teaching is a full time job that most of us have no training or the experience to do the job well. I don't think it is a slight on any parent to say so. That being said, I hope some parents are seeing that sometimes their perfect little angels are not so perfect in the classroom and that there are days when the kids just decided it is not a good day to do any learning.

As far as educators go, I hope they are understanding the difficult circumstances some of their students are trying to learn in. I listened on a one of my son's zoom session that included his whole class. I have no idea how one of the girls in the class gets anything accomplished based on the noises I heard of her home environment Some teachers are noticing some students actually understanding their work more now that when they were in the classroom due to the difference in teaching online. Add to that the number of smart devices that were issued by the state, how many students still struggled to get consistent internet service throughout the year and how many students showed up to get lunch every day, this has exposed a number of gaps that won't be solved by just getting the kids back into the classroom.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote