View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #120
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
My wife’s school is doing live teaching 5 days a week (from home), but in kind of like blocks. So she teaches for 30 minutes and the students do ‘schoolwork’ for the other part of their class time online, which she can look at while they are doing it. Now, she teaches elementary school (art) so it may be different for high schools.

I know some counties are doing the teachers need to go into school to teach, but I think Dekalb was thinking the county is already very badly off financially, why spend more on electricity and materials (video cameras for every room would have to be purchased) when we don’t have to (and that makes a lot of sense to me as well)

Dekalb is not terribly off financially, they got big grants for digital work. The problem is that they did not require teachers to learn anything over the summer, and the majority did not take upon themselves to do so because the county took forever to declare it virtual (like a week before school). Now any normal person could have seen this coming, but the teachers are not paid for summer work and many just blew it off.

We have chromebooks and programs for everyone, but nobody prepped digital plans. It is going slightly better today, but also the teachers lack fast internet.