View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #208
Izulde
Head Coach

Thesis defense on Thursday. I've been really nervous about it, but I just got the most awesome email that really gives me a confidence boost heading into it.

It looks like I'll be staying here another year and adjuncting. It's the best thing for me to do right now, while I take time and figure out for sure where I'm headed. To be honest, and I never thought I'd say this ever before I came to UNLV, I really like living in Las Vegas, especially after I got my own apartment this year.

Heard from one of my former students that there's openings for assistant coaching in the district, but the application process is a bit strange, and there's a couple things I need to do before I can formally apply (I've filled out most of the application, though).

I've also applied for a summer camp counselor gig in Kenosha (Thanks for the idea, DC/YD!), but haven't heard back on that yet.

Also went to the graduation one-stop sendoff today to pick up cap and gown and all that.

It's funny how different this last semester has felt compared to Arkansas. Back then, I had a lot of anger and depression and felt a lot of stress re: the thesis with a completely useless director and then failing the exam.

Here, there was still stress with getting the thesis done, but my director was extremely helpful and encouraging, and helped keep me on track, and my committee members I had thesis hours with really gave me fantastic feedback.

Teaching has also been much more enjoyable this last year with teaching a themed class, probably the most fun I've had since my second semester at Arkansas. Still hate grading with every fiber of my being, but then, there's always going to be some part of every job to hate.

Social and romantic lives are still nonexistent, but I'm oddly okay with that right now. Depression issues still hit now and then, but I'm able to work through them and do the things I need to do.

I really have accomplished a lot for me the last three years when I think about it:

1. Presented a paper at AWP, my first conference presentation.
2. Got a 4.0 for my entire program.
3. Wrote a critical essay that I think could potentially be publishable/presentable with a little bit more work.
4. Translated a short story from German to English (This was easily one of the most difficult things I've ever done)
5. Went to Japan for two months and had amazing experiences there, even if it was a bit lonely at times.
6. Wrote my first novel length work since The Beautiful Girl and the History class.
7. Got several stories written, one or two of which I think will be publishable with just a bit more work, even though short stories are the medium I'm least comfortable with.
8. Taught themed courses, the first semester of which earned me my highest student evaluation marks since my second semester at Arkansas.
9. Lived by myself off campus for the first time.
10. Won my money pool in the NCAA tournament after years of coming so close. (Okay this last one is a bit silly, but still.)

If I'd gone somewhere else, like say if Columbia had accepted me, or if Old Dominion had offered me an assistantship, who knows if I would have accomplished the same things? Japan definitely not, as that was part of my program here. I also probably would have been saddled with huge amounts of debt at Columbia, whereas here, I have no added debt. In fact, I've managed to save enough that I'll probably be able to pay off at least one of my two smallish undergraduate loans before the interest kicks in.

I don't know - maybe all these things sound stupid or silly, but I wanted to note them anyway.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote