View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Awesome read bud... Make sure you keep communicating with the players. I played basketball when I was younger and the coach just told us to play 5 of 5. He'd switch lineups without much discussion and we never really knew what we were doing well or what we performed poorly at. At 15-17 they understand and can deal with a lot... just be real with them. Offer praise and criticism to the amounts you feel are necessary but definitely offer both. Oh yeah, go kick some butt... winning always helps!

thanks! I'm fairly talkative on the bench. I will compensate much of my lack of tactical work with good encouragement and constructive criticism. I don't really have a good grasp of which kid plays well with who just yet but I will eventually try to set lines with kids that have affinities playing together although I believe in keeping lines about even. This is still recreative hockey and I don't want the bottom three forwards foreced to play together because the strong kids don't want them because it will suck for them.

As a karate instructor for the last 6 years, I've dealt with all sorts of people, from 4 and a half years old to older, retired, people. Yeah, it's not a team sport per se, but kids who are interested in the sport they are doing usually respond well to how I communicate. I don't want to put any kid down but will try to get them to up their game. If I can get them to buy my message of hard working, we could have if not a successful season, at the very least a satisfying one...

FM