View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #358
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
In year 2 as a starter Brady was a check down machine that had over 130 targets to running backs. Despite the Super Bowls he didn't actually play like an elite QB until '07. Roethlisberger's development was somewhat similar. Brees didn't actually become even a decent starter until his 4th year. Cousins couldn't even win a starting job until he was 27.

Out of those guys Cousins definitely wasn't good in his 2nd year and Brees was terrible in his 2nd year as a starter. Brady and Roethlisberger weren't bad, but they hadn't exactly shown many signs of the development leap that was ahead of them.
Tom Brady was 25 as a 2nd year starter, 30 in 2007 when he made the leap in public perception. Kirk Cousins wasn't a starter until he was 27, as you pointed out. Ben got hyped for his team's 13-0 start with him, but he also put up QB Ratings of 98 each of his first two years - his career QB Rating is 93. (Yes, I know, QB Rating is quite imperfect.) Drew Breees is a good example - I forgot how much he struggled at 23/24, before the light clicked at age 25.

The other three though make me look at Wentz (26) and Rosen (21) and think since we've seen plenty of QB's make a leap later in their 20's I don't look at it their age has a huge bearing on their upside or potential for growth, so give me the better QB in a heartbeat.

So for my actual rankings I'll go by tiers

Wentz
Mahomes
-----
Watson (due to injury concerns)
Goff
-----
Mayfield
-----
Darnold
-----
Trubisky
Prescott
-----
Allen
Kizer

(Haven't seen Rosen play for the Cardinals enough yet, but he'd be no higher than the Mayfield tier for me right now.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote