Thread: Moviepass
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #112
molson
General Manager

Thought I'd check in here again. Moviepass is still unusable and blocks most movies. It's a great service if you want to pay $9.99 just to see Indivisible and no other movie this month. I don't regret cancelling, nor do I regret using the service to the fullest when I could. It was so fun to just see everything I had any remote interest in without thinking about cost at all.

I've signed up for Sinemia, and it's been pretty terrifying. I paid $120 upfront for a year of 3 movies a month. So, $3.33 a movie, certainly a great deal if it was that simple. But about a month in, they started charging everybody a random $1.80 processing fee per ticket, regardless of what plan you are on, and regardless of what the terms were when you signed up. And, there's many reports of them cancelling memberships for vague alleged violations of rules. So you could pay $120 up front, and then they just could dump you month 1 and you're out all that money. And it's kind of a pain in the ass to use. You login in, order an advance ticket, they give you a one-time debit card number to use on fandango or Atom. Which works some of the time. And you're on the hook for convenience fees imposed by fandango and atom. Facebook is currently running a promotion where you go through their site to buy tickets at fandango or Atom, they waive the fee. That helps, but it only works 75% of the time for me. Then when you get to the theater you have to check in on the app.

A lot of users have managed to get credit card chargebacks due to Sinemia's shady practices, but I'm hanging in there, determined to get more than $120 worth of movie tickets out of them. Meanwhile, I just hope that Regal comes out with some subscription service like AMC did (since there's no AMCs near me). Moviepass kind of got me addicted to movie-going so I'm regularly scheming to get my fix.

And moviepass, as a company, is so far down the shitter it's ridiculous. I know another reverse stock split is on the table, and I forget the exact math, but $1,000 invested in moviepass last year would be worth something like a third of a penny now. And they're apparently splitting off from their parent company to form their own, independent, economically non-viable, shady, company.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2018 at 08:37 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote