View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #437
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

FOURTH WHITTING CONFERENCE - 3067

Welcome to Tharkad

A few months ago, supporters of Victor and Katrina were at each other’s necks, until their nations were severely damaged. Here on Tharkad, the battle was extremely tough as Morgan Kell led a coalition against General and Regent Nondi Steiner.

On the agenda for this Whitting Conference is the election of three new members – The Taurian Concordat, Magistracy of Canopus, and Word of Blake.

The earliest feel in the air is a bit salty with a bit of a bite from the various attendees across the Inner Sphere. Isis Liao-Marik is here representing her husband.

First Lord Christian Mansdottir calls the league to order, and the three new potential states give various presentations, and are voted into the Star League which requires just a minimum.

After that forced old business, the floor is open for new business. Isis speaks up and says that the Capellan Confederation wants to pull out of the Star League – it is a sham that has outlived its usefulness.

After speaking, both Yvonne and Peter Steiner-Davion mention that the resource investment in the Star League is no longer worth the effort in their rebuilding programs. Plus, the Star League was designed to end the Clan Invasion. Since it did that, it’s time has gone.

Frustrated, First Lord Christian Mansdottir calls for a vote of no confidence. If it fails to pass, the Star League is disassembled and those three states are free. Otherwise they remain in the League.

Duke Essex rises to speak.

“I would like to postpone this vote pending a recess for some research and conversation.”

It just needs a 50% vote and it passes easily.

Essex grabs Connor Ward for a quick conversation to discuss clans in detail. He then hits up some research with Clan Wolf-in-Exile and Nova Cat representatives in the area.

Then he heads to a room where the supporters of the Star League are gathered planning their strategy. It’s an odd group. ComStar and Word of Blake, Rasalhague and the Combine, Marik and the Concordat. Where’s the Magistracy? They have been convinced by Su n-Tzu to pull out just after being added in? He must have offered them something special.

Duke Essex presents his points and convinces the room of the correctness of continuing the Star League.

Based on this info, it seems like the Lyrans are the ones most likely to be savaged by the loss of the Star League. Essex asks, “Can I convince Peter to change his mind? How much does he fear and respect the clans?”

Without Peter switching his vote, we don’t have the requires 2/3rds vote.

Braham tells the pro-side that he’ll grab Peter and talk it over.

Braham grabs Peter Steiner-Davion.

“I understand why you want to pull out. I understand why you want the Star League to end, so you can focus on rebuilding. But here’s the thing.

When a clan has won a Trial, if the clan has been destroyed or annihilated, the Trial is no longer in effect. If we destroy the Star League here today, then Trial of Refusal won on Strana Mechty is no longer in effect, and the Clan Invasion is no longer bound by it. Instead, they are just bound by the parameters of the Tukkayid Truce, not to invade for 15 years after that battle. That truce ended a few months ago. The clans can come back to the Inner Sphere, in full force, driving through your area again, in months.

Peter, your state had rarely been lower. You were devastated by the Civil War. You were savaged by a renewed Jade Falcon incursion that you barely held off. Can you survive a full-fledged invasion by the clans again? When clans who have not lost badly to the Inner Sphere rotate in and attack, can you hold off Cloud Cobra? Can you hold off Ice Hellion? Star Adder? Steel Viper? “

“I hear you, but even if you were right, and the clans could reattack, we don’t know if they want to. If they can. If they would do so in the next few months or year. If they would attack along the same lines as the previous group. And if they did, we have learned a lot and advanced a lot. We could hold the line.”

“Peter, Sun-Tzu, Yvonne, and Emma aren’t risking much on this. You are risking everything. Can you be so sure to place your vote here? Are you willing to risk planets and people on that?”

“I am.”

“Very well then.”

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote