View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #21
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Well, I ment calling up parents to find the kids, more than one training session per week...

I just train the kids once a week and coach they once per month at a tournament. I can't remember having been so busy with it as what it sounds like you are spending time on that team. EDIT: In volleyball.

What I like about the field chart is that you leave all the kids off the field at some point and (I guess) only use the better kids one inning more than the rest. I think that's good for the team spirit. Sure, the kids will complain about being sidelined, but when they notice somebody isn't sidelined ever, you'll be getting more trouble keeping them do what yoiu want them to do.
I would say I spend about 8 hours or so a week on Little League, MIJB. So it's not a ton of time, but it isn't a small investment either, I guess.

A lot of fairness rules are mandated by the league, but Steve and I go out of our way to be fair anyway. For instance, this year there is a new rule stating a kid has to play the infield in the first 3 innings, something Steve and I already did. The logic behind this is that some teams were having their poor kids play in the 5th and 6th innings, which due to time constraints, were often not played. Not only do we think this is the right thing to do by each individual kid, but also helps set the right tone for creating a team.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote