View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #490
Drake
assmaster

Unrelated:

Bought the first gun I ever owned from Dick's -- a lever action .22 Henry rifle. Given what I paid for it there vs. just about anywhere else not named Cabela's, it was also the last time I set foot in a Dick's.

Quote:
As an outsider looking in, am I wrong in thinking this level of legislation is actually way beyond what is realistically expected by the gun control lobby?

I know it’s only one person’s voice, but they are all sensible measures that I thought NRA folk and gun owners in general would never accept? If this is the “hold your line” position, there has to be a good degree of common ground here?

I think you'd be likely to find that "gun owners in general" don't really line up with the NRA and the sorts of "gun guy" rants you find on YouTube (Iraqveteran8888, MrGunsnGear, Yankee Marshall, etc.) That said, the YouTube crowd has been bending over backwards all week to denounce the soft stance of the NRA and President Trump.

My general rule is that if you find yourself to the right of the NRA on gun issues, you should probably just accept that you're no longer part of the mainstream culture. (Which is not to say that should deter them from their positions, just that they can't simultaneously claim to speak from a position of cultural authority. I like to have a balance between the left-wing gun-grabbers and right-wing gun extremists, because it gives the rest of us a reasonable place to settle somewhere in the middle.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote