View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

So after doing some more investigating and thinking I've narrowed it down to the following finalists as far as MFA programs go:

1. University of Arizona
2. University of Florida
3. Purdue University
4. University of Massachusetts
5. University of Oregon
6. West Virginia University

Of those, Arizona, Purdue, and Oregon have Delta Sigma Phi chapters. Yeah, it might sound silly to be so focused on the fraternity thing, but these aren't exactly small schools and at U of MN, I got really isolated and depressed because I had no real connection to anyone or anything.

But any time I've been involved with a fraternity, either pledging at Wyoming, or being intiated here at UW-La Crosse, I've been engaged, involved, and done a lot better emotionally, academically, socially, and yes, creatively.

It's about having a support system in place, which is the most important thing to have in my particular case.

The thing with MFA Creative Writing programs, that except for a very, very select few that offer insta-prestige and networking (Iowa or Columbia as an example) or ones that have a specific focus such as preparing for a career in the publishing industry (San Diego State) or in teaching creative writing (Indiana), they're by and large, as one prof I've talked to extensively put it "two to three years where you're being paid to write."

While the prestige and connections from top schools would certainly be nice, if it's not an environment where I feel I can flourish creatively for whatever reason, then I'm not going to go that route and while I'd like to teach collegiately, that's not the only thing I want to do and furthermore, I believe the programs that focus on preparing for professorship do so to the detriment of the actual creative development.

Publishing I have absolutely no interest in.

I do realize that there's a chance I may not make it into an MFA program, in which case I'd consider an MA program and then upon completing that degree, try again for an MFA.

So I suppose I should start looking at MA programs as a backup plan (which was recommended, actually) but then I get into the question of what area I'd wanted to specialize in.

And for that one, I have no clue.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote