Thread: Punishment Inc.
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #431
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go!

#3 Melvin Horne 12-8-0 v. #14 Luis Valdez 36-6-0(15)

This fight is scheduled for 10 rounds.

Long fights like this are wars of attrition. You can’t go out to fast or you will wear out. For Horne this is too true. Both men came out slow in the first round. Neither looking to take a whole lot of chances. The ref got on both fighters about cliching on the inside. Halfway I told Melvin to go to the body. A hook to the body and a hook to the temple put Valdez on the canvas. He was up at four, and finished the round. I would say that was a good way to start a fight.

Round two started well for Valdez and ended well for Melvin. The jab of Valdez is tough, and is right there, so far. However, the uppercut from Melvin is landing with fury and accuracy. It is doing good damage, and seems to be controlling the fight. Both men seem to be tiring at quick rates. Melvin can’t let this one go the distance.

Melvin is winning these rounds but at what cost? His power is there, but he doesn’t seem to be able to finish his man, or avoid the multitude of punches that he is taking. He needs to either lay back or go for broke.

Round four was even in my eyes. Melvin didn’t work as hard as he should have. Valdez easily could have stolen the round. His jab is driving and accuate. Melvin took a couple of 4 and 5 punch combinations. I need to figure out a way for him to avoid being hit more. His naturally aggressive style doesn’t like that though.

Round five had to go for Valdez. He worked very hard, and as Melvin was coming back he had that look. You know, that look that fighter get when they have tried it all and now they just don’t know what to do. I have had that look a time or two. Melvin is still in this fight. In fact I would say that Valdez is sucking wind pretty hard too. I think that if Melvin lands the right punch at the right time, this one would be over.

UNBELIEVABLE! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING! YOU DUMBASS REF! What a fantastic round for Melvin. That was absolute, pure domination. This fight should have been over. With over :30 left in the round Valdez was out on his feet and did nothing. Nothing at all. Melvin wailed and wailed, landed blow after blow, and still the ref didn’t stop it. This is good to see this late in the fight. I need to see more of this from Horne.

Valdez got back into it here. Power versus work. Valdez was all over the place, and his punches landed with good effect. Melvin found the uppercut again and his power was keeping Valdez honest. There are 3 rounds left. I want Melvin to either end it, or win them all. Valdez is gassed. He should be easy pickings. Right?

During the break I told Melvin what I thought. He could tell that Valdez was on his last leg, and hopefully if he got him reeling again the ref would stop it this time. He came out with guns blazing early. Too bad for him he didn’t hit anything. Valdez was cautious but still good with the jab. Halfway though the round Melvin took over. An uppercut, and a hook to the body. A slip and another hook. Soon Melvin could smell the blood again. Dominating as the round once again came to an end, I laid it on the ref. He glanced at me and looked at Valdez. He knew it was over.

Melvin Horne wins by TKO at 2:53 of round 8!

Fantastic!

A great job done by Melvin to win another convincing win against a top caliber opponent. Granted he is no Damien Essett, but top 20 is still top 20. This is a good fight to go with Melvin’s contract extension that we recently signed. Here is how the judges had the fight:

J1: 68-64 Horne

J2: 69-64 Horne

J3: 67-67

Melvin was certainly on his way, but I have no idea why judge three saw it that close. Another big payday for the group, Melvin’s stock can’t rise much higher. He may need to start thinking about a top contender fight or even a title fight. Time will tell.

Featherweight FOY Kevin Kelley fought to a 10 round draw with Ricardo Sanchez.

Niall Beaumont wins a split decision over Bill Allison.

Job Reyes gets back on the horse with a Unanimous decision win over Sandro Macias.

Oscar De la Hoya beats Wilfredo Benitez by Unanimous decision.

Jose Victor Lopez won by an 8th round TKO over Manuel Castillo.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote