View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #500
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Rookie first looks!
And a couple of hold outs.

Our six rookies reported at Oranje Haven, and we've got some closer look at them. Yes, it's still early, we know we're going through a couple more re-evaluations of them, but still.

Vinny Buysse
The good news: the kid reminds me of Ed Schulz as a rookie. The bad news? See the good news. The kid is fast, my offensive coordinator thinks he's in the top five big play receivers in the league. But his ability to get open is underdeveloped, albeit I must feel happy about his very good potential. Our OC also thinks he's in the top 15 amongst all receivers in overall talent, the best of this draft class. And he has the endurance to play on all downs.

Gino Shea
Well, he's a kicker, what else to say? My staff thinks he's the second best kicker of this class. To be fair, I was expecting that to happen, but the main difference is that Shea actually can be an elite kickoff guy and looks still top five to ten in point collecting skills.

Robbie Dobreski
Yeah, we're not overwhelmed yet. I hope he lives up to the hype from my defensive coordinator of being very underrated. He's got the potential in pass rush technique and play diagnosis, but that is what we were looking for here.

Blaine Wright
Seventh round safety. Looks potentially good to very good in all the areas you'd want from a strong safety: run defending, zone defense, play diagnosis, interceptions.

Dashawn McIntyre
Kickoff returner of running back? A bit of the first and not much of the second, a bit of both or just a young special teamer? We'll find out in pre-season, or maybe not until he's in his third season.

Bill Bensen
We locked up Earnest Ashley for 5 seasons, did we really need to take a flyer here? But yes, of course! You can always keep your eyes open for a new quarterback.

Besides that, we got the news that two of our best players went into hold ut modus. Darien Fletcher and Richie Piotte are obviously amongst the league's elite pass rushing defensive linemen. Both want a new deal, their contracts are expiring after this season. The good news? That was already in my plans. The bad news? We'll have to offer it them now, before training camp. I hoped to be able to wait for pre-season, but that's no longer an option now. Our first shot at it has been offered, I hope they agree quickly so we can focus on other stuff before pre-season and leave the contract tinkering for mid-re-season.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote