View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #402
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Well, that’s kind of my point. We have to create a perfect scenario before it starts to look good. And as far as your list goes, let’s dump Utah and bring along Oklahoma State to maintain the regional rivalries.
Oklahoma State doesn't have nearly enough TV market pull. Salt Lake City is the nation's #31 ranked media market, ahead of places like San Antonio, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Memphis, New Orleans, etc.

Utah wouldn't help a new Pac-10 TV contract as much as Colorado would, but it's not far off.

Besides, as far as regional rivalries go, Utah/Colorado wouldn't be creating a new rivalry, it would be reviving a long-standing existing rivalry. Rivalries would work out just fine in the 16-team arrangement I suggested.

And I still maintain that 16 teams makes a lot more sense in many ways than 12 teams, especially if the 16 includes Texas (and that's probably the only way you get Texas).

Whether or not the resulting conference is technically the Pac-10 absorbing big chunks of the Big-12, or whether it gets described as more of a "merger" or partnership, whatever - I think if the Pac is going to expand, don't pussy-foot around - go big and do it right. Be proactive instead of reactive.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote