View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #834
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

We got back from the UT camp yesterday and I must say I have mixed feelings about the clinic. The first day was fly, and I was really hoping the coaches would tweak the kid's strokes just a bit to make them more efficient. Unfortunately, the this was the very first camp of the week and it really appeared like the coaches forgot they had it scheduled. Last year when we went to the breaststroke camp there were 10 or 12 coaches divided between 3 groups, but during the fly there were 3 coaches and all the kids were in the same group. Making matters worse, there were kids as young as 7 and an adult that was definitely in his 60s (and not a good swimmer). It was so crowded that the kids got NO advice or suggestions, they just went through the drills.

The second day was much better. For Bailey's Backstroke, and Bear's turns clinic, the kids were split into smaller groups and more instruction was given. I wish they had more time in the clinics (and I wish I had the money to send them to a week long all day swim camp like the ones offered in the Summer), but I do think they had fun, which is the most important part.

We did use the opportunity of being in Tennessee to run over to Bristol and allow Brett to check out King University. The campus was nice, but the surrounding area isn't what I expected. The pictures of the university make it appear isolated, but it is actually surrounded my homes and only a few blocks from retail and warehouse zones. It definitely wasn't as pretty as I had anticipated. We also stopped at Carson-Newman on the way home. That was a very pretty campus. Again, not isolated, but the campus is the largest of the schools Brett has visited (not counting ones we've been to for swim meets). The campus is laid out on a well defined streets/avenues type grid, which makes it seem bigger and sort of self contained.

Brett will also get back in the pool again today to see if he's ready to start swimming again.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote