View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #21673
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Does anybody else obsess over maximizing credit card benefits? I've used credit cards for daily purchases for over 20 years but in the last couple of years, I've really started figuring out how to pair 2-3 cards to maximize my gains based on how I spend and what I want for "extras." Right now, the signing bonuses are as good as they've ever been, and I'm racking up benefits like crazy.

I upgraded my Delta Platinum SkyMiles to Reserve for $60K miles and a $300 statement credit. I got the Chase IHG card for gas purchases since it's 2x the points and I got 120K points to sign up. Then I added the Chase Sapphire Preferred for 3x points on restaurants (starting Monday, 2x up until then) and 100K point signing bonus. Sapphire Preferred has this "pay yourself back" feature that allows you to use your points for statement credits. It's usually 1 point per $10 so the 100K points I got is normally worth $1000, but right now they're giving 25% more value until the end of September, so I used the card on all of our food purchases on vacation and this morning when my 100K got deposited into my account, I was able to claim $1400 credit against my statement balance. Plus, I used the IHG points bonus to get 6 hotel stays for free. And, I still have nearly 500K SkyMiles on my Delta card that I expect to use 350K to purchase 6 tickets to Hawaii for like $66.

The pandemic has obviously created a crazy scenario in which it's easy to accumulate a ton of miles/points, but even putting that aside, there's a ton of value in the benefits if you do your research and pair up your cards in a way that makes sense for you. The big issue for many, I suppose, is learning to treat a credit card like a debit card, but I've been doing it for so long it's like second nature. I've not paid a cent in interest since the 90s.

The Points Guy is a must-follow if you are into this sort of thing. I guess this is what fun looks like to someone who turns 50 in a couple of days...!

ping molson on this one. I think he maximizing his points is a big hobby for him.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote