View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
What prompted you to become a pilot? I'd always wanted to be one growing up but I never really did anything about it. It's interesting that it seems you may have career-changed into it.

Oh man, my back story is a little kid of divorced parents who grew up flying unaccompanied from Minot to Los Angeles starting at age 6. A dad who was a pilot in the Air Force. A grandfather who was a naval aviator instructor in WWII. My mom even soloed before my dad did, but never went any further than that. I was in Civil Air Patrol in high school and even my first job after high school was working at the airport ice cream shop.

I come by it honestly even though I didn't think at the time that you could just become a pilot. I went to college and didn't think about it any more. The opportunity came up to go to a flight school in Florida and really commit to it (because at the time it was that or back to graduate school) and in the end it was something that I was always drawn to. I was fortunate enough to be able to be successful at it and make a career out of it.

I'd say thought that it was the flight crews that looked after me, talked to me, the pilots who put me in the cockpit before the flight. Plus when my friends weren't doing anything over the summer I was going to California and getting there in just a few hours. I was seeing a world far away from where I lived and I loved it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote